INSTRUCTIONS FOR CAMP – ROGERS EXPLORERS
University of the Cumberlands – June 19-21, 2019
Where do I go?
You have been selected to attend Rogers Explorers at University of the Cumberlands. The camp will take place on its main campus at 6178 College Station Drive, Williamsburg, KY 40769. All Rogers Explorers must be transported to and from the program by their parents/guardians. Registration will begin at 2:00 p.m. EST.
Upon arrival to camp, you need to report to your child’s assigned dorm. All students will be placed in Hutton Hall. Male and Females will be in separate areas of the dorm. Registration will be in the Hutton Hall lobby. The Center for Rural Development staff will be there to greet you. Once your child has put all of his or her belongings into their assigned dorm room, you need to report to the TJ Roberts Dining Hall. It is within walking distance.
What do I need to bring?
The following items are necessities for your stay at Rogers Explorers:
- Towels, wash cloths, and other shower necessities including shampoo and soap. Bathrooms are communal and are located outside of the rooms.
- Shoes for the shower (optional)
- Bedding. Students will be responsible for bringing their own sheets, pillows, and comforters for a twin sized bed.
- Hangers if you’d like to hang any clothes
- Personal hygiene items
- Fan (optional)
- Snacks and drinks that don’t need refrigeration.
- You will have access to drink and snack machines, so you may bring change/cash to utilize those.
- Swimsuit for recreation time. For females, only one-piece suits are allowed.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes. Days one and two of camp include various outdoor activities including a roadside cleanup.
- Calamine lotion because we will be outdoors often
- The Center will have Rogers Explorers fleece blankets for sale for $20 each. Proceeds go to help fund next year’s program.
What do I need to wear?
Dress will be casual on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday, you will wear a shirt that we provide and khakis
- Wednesday: Casual wear. Students should dress in something they aren’t afraid to get dirty. There will be a lot of outdoor activities including a community service project with PRIDE.
- Thursday: Casual wear. You will be provided with a T-Shirt from the college.
- Friday: Casual wear. Khakis. The Center will provide you with an orange t-shirt for graduation. You are more than welcome to wear something else that morning and change into your graduation wear prior to the ceremony.
While planning your casual wear for the camp. Please refer back to the dress code in the Code of Conduct that you signed earlier this spring.
May I bring electronic devices?
The use of cell phones, electronic games, personal audio devices, or laptop computers is limited to the students’ dorm rooms and leisure time. Even so, students are solely responsible for the personal items they bring and are strongly discouraged from bringing unnecessary items. If you do choose to bring any of these items, you must remember to leave them in your dorm room and do so at your own risk. Phones are permitted. However, students are not allowed to have them out during educational sessions or during guest speakers. If students are caught with their phones out during these times, their devices will be taken away and stored until leisure time that evening. Multiple Center staff will be on hand at all times in case a student needs to use a phone for emergencies.
Where do I pick my child up at?
The graduation ceremony will take place at on Friday, June 21th at 4:00 p.m. EST in the Grace Crum Rollins Center – Kohn Theatre. Immediately following the ceremony, parents can report to Hutton Hall where you can sign your child out. Students will pack their belongings prior to graduation, so they will be ready to go once the ceremony has concluded. Please take note, that you MUST sign your child out with a representative of The Center for Rural Development before leaving campus.
If you or your parents have any questions about the Rogers Explorers program or anything included in this information packet, please feel free to call me at (606) 677-6000. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. You can also e-mail me at email@example.com.
We hope you are as excited about the program as we are. We have three days of fun-filled, challenging activities planned for your child and look forward to meeting you very soon!