Welcome to the 2019 Rogers Explorers Program Application Homepage! The deadline to apply is March 1, 2019 at 8 a.m.
To be eligible to apply, the student must:
- Be a current eighth-grader located within The Center’s 45-county service area. The forty-five county service area consists of the following Kentucky counties: Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Elliott, Estill, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Harlan, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lincoln, Magoffin, Martin, McCreary, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Taylor, Wayne, Whitley and Wolfe.
- Have a strong interest in developing skills in leadership, technology, math, science, and community service.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4-point scale). If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may submit a letter from your guidance counselor explaining any special circumstances that may have affected your GPA and/or why you should be considered for the Rogers Explorers program regardless of your GPA.
A total of 210 students from The Center’s 45-county service area will be selected for the program in 2019 – 30 students each participating on the campuses of Asbury University, University of the Cumberlands, Lindsey Wilson College, Eastern Kentucky University, Morehead State University, University of Pikeville, and Union College.
A selection committee consisting of staff from The Center for Rural Development will be established. In order to ensure fairness, applications will be blinded and applicant names removed prior to distributing copies to the selection committee. The committee will review and score all of the applications according to the criteria and point values established for each section. The top two applicants with the highest scores in each county will be selected as that county’s representatives. After those 90 selections are made, the highest 120 scores of the remaining applicants will also be selected as Rogers Explorers. As a result, some counties will have more than two representatives.
All applicants remaining after the first 210 selections will be considered as alternates and will be ranked from the highest to lowest score. If a selected Explorer is unable to attend the program, alternates will be contacted in order of their rank until the open spot is filled. For this reason, all applicants are encouraged to keep the program dates and the possibility of selection in mind as they make their plans for the summer.
What do I need before I fill out the application?
The application process has recently changed and will consist of one comprehensive form that has to be filled out all at once. In preparation for your application please have the following information ready prior to the filling out the application:
- Personal information including basic contact information for yourself and your parents, address, phone numbers and email addresses.
- You will be asked to choose a preference of camp dates. Please discuss this with your parents prior to completing the application.
- June 2-4 – Asbury University
- June 5-7 – Eastern Kentucky University
- June 16-18 – Lindsey Wilson College
- June 19-21 – University of the Cumberlands
- June 26-28 – University of Pikeville
- July 7-9 – Union College
- July 10-12 – Morehead State University
- A list of extracurricular activities that fall under the following categories – leadership, technology, & science and math.
- Extracurricular activities are defined as school-related activities that you are part of in addition to your regular classroom work. This includes school-sponsored clubs, organizations, associations, programs, and athletic teams.
- A list of community service activities that are both school and non-school related.
- Community service activities are defined as those activities that involve your time and volunteer efforts for a community-related group or project. This includes time you put into helping civic organizations, doing community-related church activities, working as a volunteer, or contributing to other community-minded activities. If you have a leadership position or role in any of the activities, please describe that position/role. Paid positions of employment are NOT considered community service activities.
- Essay: In your opinion, what math and science careers are needed in order to contribute to enhancing Southern and Eastern Kentucky’s economy? How would this impact your home county?
- Essay Requirements: 1-2 pages double spaced; .5 inch margins; and Times New Roman 12 point font. More than 2 pages will result in a deduction of points.
- Please upload documents in a .docx, .doc, or .txt format.
- Your official academic transcript including your counselor’s contact information and your unweighted GPA.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two of the letters should be someone from your academic institution. The third letter can be from a community member. If your letter writer plans to mail the recommendation, please upload a blank document that indicates who is writing the letter.
- Supporting Document: Click on the link below for a supporting document to give each letter writer.
- Supporting Document 2019
- You will need parental consent to complete the application. A parent is required to give consent at the end of the application.
- Please keep in mind that the deadline for this application is March 1, 2019 at 8 a.m. Any submission after the deadline will not be accepted.
Once again, the application has to be filled out all at once and cannot be saved. Please have all of the information ready prior to starting the application process.
2019 Rogers Explorers Program Dates:
- Asbury University: June 2-4, 2019
- Eastern Kentucky University: June 5-7, 2019
- Lindsey Wilson College: June 16-18, 2019
- University of the Cumberlands: June 19-21, 2019
- University of Pikeville: June 26-28, 2019
- Union College: July 7-9, 2019
- Morehead State University: July 10-12, 2019