Welcome to the Rogers Explorers Program Application Homepage! The 2020 Application will be available on December 1, 2019. The deadline will be February 7, 2020 at midnight.
To be eligible to apply, the student must:
- Be a current eighth-grader located within The Center’s 45-county service area. The forty-five county service area consists of the following Kentucky counties: Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Elliott, Estill, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Harlan, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lincoln, Magoffin, Martin, McCreary, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Taylor, Wayne, Whitley and Wolfe.
- Have a strong interest in developing skills in leadership, technology, math, science, and community service.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4-point scale). If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may submit a letter from your guidance counselor explaining any special circumstances that may have affected your GPA and/or why you should be considered for the Rogers Explorers program regardless of your GPA.
A total of 210 students from The Center’s 45-county service area will be selected for the program – 30 students each participating on the campuses of Asbury University, University of the Cumberlands, Lindsey Wilson College, Eastern Kentucky University, Morehead State University, University of Pikeville, and Union College.
A selection committee consisting of staff from The Center for Rural Development will be established. In order to ensure fairness, applications will be blinded and applicant names removed prior to distributing copies to the selection committee. The committee will review and score all of the applications according to the criteria and point values established for each section. The top two applicants with the highest scores in each county will be selected as that county’s representatives. After those 90 selections are made, the highest 120 scores of the remaining applicants will also be selected as Rogers Explorers. As a result, some counties will have more than two representatives.
All applicants remaining after the first 210 selections will be considered as alternates and will be ranked from the highest to lowest score. If a selected Explorer is unable to attend the program, alternates will be contacted in order of their rank until the open spot is filled. For this reason, all applicants are encouraged to keep the program dates and the possibility of selection in mind as they make their plans for the summer.
STEP ONE: COMPLETE CHECKLIST
Welcome to the 2020 Rogers Explorers Program Application Homepage! Please read this entire page. Before you move forward, you need to complete the checklist below. If you do not complete the checklist prior to filling out the application, you will have issues. The application is an online form that CANNOT BE SAVED! The application page times out after a certain amount of time which may vary depending on the browser you are using. In order to prevent data loss, have everything completed in a word document and be prepared to fill out the application in one sitting.
Please complete the following checklist prior to clicking on the application. Download Application Checklist Here
- Personal Information – name, gender, date of birth, shirt size, email address, two phone numbers, county of residence, address, parent’s names, parent’s email address, school name, county of school, and preferred camp date:
- May 31-June 2, 2020 at Eastern Kentucky University
- June 3-5, 2020 at Morehead State University
- June 16-18, 2020 at University of the Cumberlands
- June 29-July 1, 2020 at Lindsey Wilson College
- July 8-10, 2020 at University of Pikeville
- July 12-14, 2020 at Asbury University
- July 15-17, 2020 at Union College
- No Preference
- Extracurricular Activities (30 Points) – Extracurricular activities are defined as school-related activities that you are part of in addition to your regular classroom work. This includes school sponsored clubs, organizations, associations, programs, and athletic teams. This part is broken down into three categories: Leadership, Technology, & Science and Math. You cannot list more than 10 items in each category.
- Leadership-related activities (10 Items maximum)
- Technology-related activities (10 Items maximum)
- Science and Math-related activities (10 Items maximum)
- Community Service (25 Points) – Community service activities are defined as those activities that involve your time and volunteer efforts for a community-related group or project. This includes time you put into helping civic organizations, doing community-related church activities, working as a volunteer, or contributing to other community-minded activities. If you have a leadership position or role in any of the activities, please describe that position/role. Paid positions of employment are NOT considered community service activities.
- School Related (12 items maximum)
- Non-School Related (12 items maximum)
- Essay (35 Points) – Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math are essential in our everyday life. The Rogers Explorers program was created as a way to introduce students to college level curriculum in STEM fields. What STEM careers do you think will make an impact in Southern and Eastern Kentucky? Download Grading Rubric Here
- Transcript and GPA (10 Points) – Your official academic transcript including your counselor’s contact information and your unweighted GPA.
- Letters of Recommendation – You need 3 letters of recommendation. Two letters HAVE to come from your school district. One letter HAS to come from a member of the community. The letter writer cannot be someone you are related to. While the letters have no point value, you will be deducted 5 points per missing letter.
- Parental Consent – You must have parental consent in order to fill out the application.Once you have checked off all of the previous items, you are ready to fill out the application. The application will be available on December 1, 2019 and will close on February 7th at midnight.