Thank you for your interest in the 2019 Rogers Scholars Program. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2019 at 8 a.m.
To be eligible to apply, the student must:
- Be a current sophomore at a high school located within the 45-county service area of The Center for Rural Development. The forty-five county service area consists of the following Kentucky counties: Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Elliott, Estill, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Harlan, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lincoln, Magoffin, Martin, McCreary, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Pulaski, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Taylor, Wayne, Whitley and Wolfe.
- Have a strong interest in developing skills in leadership, technology, entrepreneurship, and community service.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4 point scale).
A total of 60 students from Southern and Eastern Kentucky are selected to attend the program each year, with 30 attending each of the two weeks. A selection committee consisting of staff from The Center for Rural Development will be established. In order to ensure fairness, applications will be blinded and applicant names removed prior to distributing copies to the selection committee. The committee will review and score all of the applications according to the criteria and point values established for each section. The applicant with the highest score in each county will be selected as that county’s representative. After those 45 selections are made, the highest 15 scores of the remaining applicants will also be selected as Rogers Scholars. As a result, some schools and/or counties will have more than one representative.
Every applicant remaining after the first 60 selections will be considered an alternate and will be ranked from the highest to lowest score. If a selected Scholar is unable to attend the program, the alternates will be contacted in order of their rank until the open spot is filled. For this reason, all applicants are encouraged to keep the program dates and the possibility of selection in mind as they make their plans for the summer.
What do I need before I fill out the application?
Welcome to the 2019 Rogers Scholars Program Application Homepage! The application process has recently changed and will consist of one comprehensive form that has to be filled out all at once. In preparation for your application please have the following information ready prior to the application process:
- Personal information including basic contact information for yourself and your parents, address, phone numbers and email addresses.
- You will be asked to choose a preference of camp dates. Please discuss this with your parents prior to completing the application. Dates include –
- June 9-14
- July 14-19
- A list of extracurricular activities that fall under the following categories – leadership, technology, & entrepreneurship.
- Extracurricular activities are defined as school-related activities that you are part of in addition to your regular classroom work. This includes school-sponsored clubs, organizations, associations, programs, and athletic teams.
- A list of community service activities that are both school and non-school related.
- Community service activities are defined as those activities that involve your time and volunteer efforts for a community-related group or project. This includes time you put into helping civic organizations, doing community-related church activities, working as a volunteer, or contributing to other community-minded activities. If you have a leadership position or role in any of the activities, please describe that position/role. Paid positions of employment are NOT considered community service activities.
- Essay: The Center for Rural Development is making headway in creating a better way of life for Southern and Eastern Kentucky by providing a middle-mile, fiber-optic network that creates the opportunity for affordable, high-capacity, high-speed broadband access. Using areas of economic development, tourism, and entrepreneurship, describe how your community could take advantage of this opportunity.
- Source: https://centertech.com/technology/kentuckywired
- Essay Requirements: 1-2 pages double-spaced; .5 inch margins; and Times New Roman 12 point font. More than 2 pages will result in a deduction of points.
- Please upload documents in a .docx, .doc, or .txt format.
- Your official academic transcript including your counselor’s contact information and your unweighted GPA.
- Three letters of recommendation. Two of the letters should be someone from your academic institution. The third letter can be from a community member.
- You will need parental consent to complete the application. A parent is required to give consent at the end of the application.
- Please keep in mind that the deadline for this application is February 1, 2018, at 8 a.m. Any submission after the deadline will not be accepted.